Larry asked me yesterday what my favorite movie of the year was, which led me to thinking about other highlights, and of course, lowlights, throughout the year. Â So, with no particular order in mind:
La La Land, by a lot.
- Star Trek: Beyond
- Rogue One
- 10 Cloverfield Ln
- Secret Life of Pets
- Jason Bourne – UGH
- Girl on the Train – bored ugh
- Independence Day: Resurgence – just…why?
I love this damn song. Â From the first time I heard it while eating breakfast to even now, still love it.
- Cake by the Ocean, by DNCE
- Make Me Like You, by Gwen Stefani
- Hold Up, by Beyonce
- Can’t Stop the Feeling, by Justin Timberlake
- The Riddle of the Model, from the Sing Street soundtrack
- We Know the Way, from the Moana soundtrack
- Another Day of Sun, from the La La Land soundtrack
Obviously, Jeopardy! gets a nod.
- Game of Thrones; the last episode where Cersei goes and makes her move? Â Woah.
- Westworld: Â Wasn’t sure if I was going to like the show, but yeah, definitely liked the show. Â Just have to wait 2 more years for more.
- Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: Â Everyone should be watching this hilarious, musical show. Â Rachel Bloom is mesmerizing, and all the attractive men she has cast in the show opposite her is brilliant, as it keeps us tuned in! Â White Josh and Greg 4eva.
- Broad City: Â In it’s 3rd season, it’s still fucking great.
- $100,000 Pyramid & Match Game: Â ABC brought these back over the summer and they were fucking great. Â Time to consider my next game show move!
Not so good?
- Scandal: Â We are in the hate-watch zone. Â Get your shit together.
- You’re the Worst: Â I don’t know, we couldn’t get past the 1st episode of the new season, and so, maybe we’re done with it.
- American Horror Story: Â Not sure if it’s bad yet, but it really was all over the place this season. Â Sometimes it was good, but a lot of times, not? Â I liked last season’s Hotel. Â Maybe next season will be good.
Fun Video Games I Played:
- The Witcher 3: Â Hot damn, this game is amazing and gets you involved immediately and doesn’t let go. Â And it’s freaking huge. Â I still am not sure how far along I am and I’ve played a LOT.
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: Â So glad that the Tomb Raider franchise has been brought back successfully. Â It’s so damn fun too, and they’re telling great stories while providing a wonderful action experience.
- Prison Architect: Â I totally got obsessed with this game for a while. Â So well done.
- XCOM 2: Â A really hard game that I couldn’t stop playing. Â I did finish it, surprisingly.
- Flame in the Flood: Â Another of these random games I got obsessed with for a good while as it was such a relaxing game play rhythm.
- Uncharted 4: Â I just finished this one and man, what a beautiful and fun game.
- Fallout 4: Â I really really really wanted to love this game. Â And I played it a while, hoping it would get me. Â But nope. Â They have too much around settlement creation and management and let the story be incidental. Â I want to have the option to take the story slow if necessary, but not like this. Â Kind of a bummer.
- King’s Quest: Â Once it was clear that you couldn’t easily restart and were stuck with decisions, plus the game gave very limited guidance, I kind of lost interest. Â There are 3 more chapters to play through and I’m not sure I ever will?
Life Stuff Highlights!
Okay, I guess I should talk about some of the things I liked about 2016.
- Larry & I got married! Â There may have been a lot of stress and a not insignificant amount of money spent, but damn, the event and surrounding days were so worth it. Â The weather was perfect, the venue was perfect, the wedding and reception were perfect, seeing all the family and friends was perfect….it was just amazing.
- Honeymoon in Europe! Â This trip was much needed and a welcome return to traveling somewhere outside of the country with beautiful surroundings to soak up and lots of food and wine to savor. Â Would go back in a heartbeat if we could.
- We got a new niece, Rachel, in July of this year. Â It’s a wonderful addition to Alyssa & Jon’s family and of course to all of ours. Â It was also nice to be back east for that little bit of time too.
- Hollywood Bowl is always fun, as is going to the theater and seeing some shows. Â Seeing Beautiful and Cabaret were definite highlights, as was the various shows we saw at the Bowl, including Diana Ross and the Sound of Music. Â Also glad mom was able to join us for many of these!
- Being on Jeopardy was certainly a wonderful adventure and something I can always remember. Â I’ve also been able to meet and be part of a very select group of individuals, those who have also been on Jeopardy. Â It’s quite an honor.
- Certainly not happy with how the election turned out. Â I’ll cross fingers and toes that perhaps I’m wrong about my fears. Â Based on a certain Twitter feed though, I’m fairly convinced the incoming man on Jan 20th is frightfully immature, unfit, and unprepared for the job. Â Buckle up your seatbelts, it’s gonna be a bumpy ride.
- Work, well, it’s certainly something right now. Â Here’s hoping for a more productive and illuminating 2017 in that realm.
- Turning 40. Â Eh, I guess it’s not the end of the world, certainly. Â But kind of a bummer, nonetheless. Â And to have that one-two punch with that and the election made November 2016 one of the shittier Novembers I can remember!
- A lot of these actors and musicians and artists and entertainers dying….I think I’m reaching that age where a lot of the people I did grow up with seeing out there are reaching that age. Â But some? Â Some are way too young.
Honestly, I just want to not be afraid of what the future holds, whether it’s for myself, Larry, family and friends, the country, etc. Â I want to be an active participant in making things better, whether that’s my personal happiness, or if I can, be an advocate for making things better on a larger scale. Â I don’t want to be afraid of making a change just because it’s a scary thing to do. Â Life’s a one-time thing, so why not make it what I want it to be, and not just grin and bear whatever comes my way. Â So yeah, that’s kind of where my head is at when it comes to a mindset for 2017. Â Call it a resolution, call it a philosophy, but yeah, 2017, here I come. Â Here we all come.
I’m making a cake for 2017 New Year’s Eve. Â Larry & I are staying in again, as previous NYE outings have kind of gone to shit. Â Last year we stayed in, and it was great. Â Doing it again, and happy about that as it’s raining this evening. Â Fuck that noise.